Subject: Re: Problems with cgd on raid
To: Felix 'buebo' Kakrow <buebo@buebo.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2007 10:29:29
Felix 'buebo' Kakrow <buebo@buebo.de> writes:

> Hello,
> Iam trying to set up a cgd encrypted partition on top of a Raidframe
> device, but both ffs and disklabel verification fails.

I suspect that you did not get a response because you did not post
enough details of what you did.

> It seems there is a problem with the  verification in
> combination with the underlying raid device. I found this message which
> suggests some particular offsets to solve the problems:

Did you read cgdconfig(8) where it explains that the verification will
fail until you have label?  You haven't shown us fdisk/disklabel
inside the cgd.

> http://www.nabble.com/Re:-cgd-%22disklabel%22-verification-cannot-be-used--t3034687.html
>
> However, it does not seem to work in my case. My configuration looks
> like this:
>
> # disklabel raid3
>
> #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  a:        16        63     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0*-      0*)
>  c: 1875426753        63     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0*- 305245*)
>  d: 1875426816         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 - 305245*)
>  e: 1875426713        79        ccd                     # (Cyl.      0*- 305245*)
>
> Like in the original post cgd0 has BIOS partition 0 and occupies the
> full device (starting at 63). cgd0e also starts at 63, occupies the
> full device and is type 4.2BSD.

Why are you starting at e, and what's the a partition for?  This seems
odd.