Subject: presentation neutral publication tool
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2007 01:06:16
I'm looking for a system to publish documents in multiple media
forms, probably limited to pdf and html. The plan had been to use
latex, but there are too many problems when it comes to figures
and graphics, eg make a latex doc that renders with ray traced pdf
or eps figures when appropriate, while knowing to include the png
files for html; or make tables and multi-page tables, etc work in
all formats.

My most recent problems for pdflatex are worked out, but I've
given up making html versions available. The documents I'm working
with could be a few pages or 100s, are technical and scientific,
with symbols and formulas, with (sometimes lots) of graphics that
may be 5 or 10 Mb each.

The nice thing about latex, is the somewhat easy to manipulate
source code. I can write tex files in vi and get good results.
Docbook is the only alternative I know of but xml/sgml is not
very human friendly to type. --- maybe if there was a macro to
transform latex-like source to docbook, but just the macro would
be a lot of work. As long as I'm wishing, programmatic generated
source along with a WYSIWYG interface options would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

// George