Subject: Re: Summer of code ideas
To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/2007 20:30:39
On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 08:38:47AM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> > > Soft updates gives higher performance than journaling in most (not all) cases.
> >
> > Can you actually demonstrate that this is the case?
>
> IIRC these papers do.
>
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix99/mckusick.html
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/general/seltzer.html

Well, they claim to.  However, I do not know of anyone other than these
paper's authors who has ever been able to precisely reproduce their results,
largely due to either the instability or unavailability of the code that
produced them.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all