Subject: Re: Summer of code ideas
To: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2007 16:04:18
--oFbHfjnMgUMsrGjO

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:51:54PM +0100, Mark Weinem wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> >Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:42:17 -0800
> >From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
> >To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
> >Cc: netbsd-users@NetBSD.org
> >Subject: Re: Summer of code ideas
> >
> >On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:17:13PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> >>1) background fsck
> >
> >I don't think that background fsck is a good idea. While it'd be nice to
> >not have to wait on boot, I think the other options for a fast boot will
> >serve us better. Namely journaling.
>=20
> hm, for background fsck: there must be reasons why FreeBSD looks for
> alternatives.
>=20
> about journaling: isn't it also an out-of-date technology? ZFS, which
> is often reviewed as an state-of-the-art FS, doesn't use journaling but
> "Copy-on-Write".

ZFS is also quite a technological step from where we are today, while=20
adding journaling to ffs would not be. Further, if done right, a journaled=
=20
ffs could be added retroactively to an existing ffs, so it could be an=20
upgrade path for existing implementations.

Take care,

Bill

--oFbHfjnMgUMsrGjO

--oFbHfjnMgUMsrGjO--