Subject: Re: Summer of code ideas
To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/17/2007 15:42:17
--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:17:13PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> 1) background fsck

I don't think that background fsck is a good idea. While it'd be nice to=20
not have to wait on boot, I think the other options for a fast boot will=20
serve us better. Namely journaling.

Sure, background fsck can get you moving faster, but you STILL have to=20
fsck the whole disk. That doesn't scale well. For a multi-TB file system,=
=20
you can have a gigabyte or more of metadata, and you still have to sift=20
through it all.

With journaling, you only have to worry about writing at most the=20
journal's worth of data. That would typicaly be a few tens or hundreds of=
=20
megabytes. And you know right where it is, so you just write it and you're=
=20
done.

Take care,

Bill