Subject: Re: Summer of code ideas
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-duisburg-essen.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/16/2007 21:44:12
Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> > Why not ZFS?
>
> And why not twelve others?
>
> I'm still voting for reiserfs. When the others are strongly opposed -
> OK, XFS would be fine as well. I don't know much about ZFS, never used
> it.

Please stay realistic! None of those could be implemented in the Soc
timeframe. Don't  overextend the participating students and risc the
failing of another project.

Matt Dillon from DragonFly suggested the implementation of virtual kernels
on all BSDs:

	"Actually, I would like to talk about the virtual kernel a
	little more, because it turned out to be very easy to implment, and
	I think that it's something that the other BSD projects should look
	at very seriously [...]"

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2007-02/msg00110.html

The interview is also about ZFS - and why it's not  suitable for
DragonFly.

ZFS or the future "DragonFly-FS" might be options for NetBSD, but I think
they will not be doable as  SoC projects.

Greetings, Mark

--
Mark Weinem
Jabber: weinem@jabber.cz