Subject: Out of memory
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2007 09:25:44
--------------enig90898EAFBC459ACBA8C166A7

Hello all,

   A friend of mine has sent me some game-trailers which I want to
watch. I ran into problems with some of them.

   Most of them "just run". But those which are in "HD"-format (very
high resolution) sometimes make mplayer crash, with a complaint about
BadAlloc. So I thought it was an mplayer problem. But then I tried to
shut down some applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc), and tried again
-- then it ran.

   The system has 2GB RAM, and over 1GB RAM free, so I'm fairly sure
that it's not running out of physical RAM.

   Yesterday I couldn't get one of the trailers running which I *know* I
have been watching before. I even tried shutting down X, and restarting
it, but it still crashed with the BadAlloc problem.

   I'm just guessing, but it feels like a problem arising from
fragmented memory somewhere.

   Does anyone know off-hand what I need to increase, and where
(kernel?), to give mplayer more memory? I assume it uses shared memory
for the framebuffer, if that is relevant.

   Anyone have any ideas how I track down where the problem arises?

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson