Subject: Raidframe and raidset initialization
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason White <jdwhite@menelos.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/10/2007 03:15:16
I'm looking for a definitive answer and/or clarification to the following.
The raidctl manpage for the '-i' option says:

  "In particular, (re-)write the parity on the selected device.  This MUST be
   done for all RAID sets before the RAID device is labeled and before file
   systems are created on the RAID device."

I realize it may be a fine point, but does the initialization have to
*finish* before the raid device can be used or is it sufficient to have
merely started initialization?  I'm aware that I can manipulate the raid
device, but is it safe to do so before initialization is complete?

-Jason

--
Jason White <jdwhite@menelos.com>       Jabber: jdwhite(jabber.org)
http://jdwhite.menelos.com/                     jason.d.white(gmail.com)