Subject: Re: SOC project idea
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/08/2007 22:45:37
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:34:55PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> writes:
> >> I'll amend that further, and make that suspend to swap.
> >
> > I would love this. But it's a way to large projet for SOC.
>
> A framework for hibernation is not too large a project.

Maybe I'm missing somthing, but to resume from hibernation you'll load
the kernel as a normal boot, and then restore state from a large file
(or swap, or whatever). Then you need to be able to restore state of various
parts of the kernel (sockets, open files, etc ...), which may not be at the
same address as at hibernation time, because the kernel has done some work
and rebooted in between. This is the difficult part, and may require
redesign of large parts of the kernel. But maybe there's other way to
get at it that I didn't see (doing the work from the boot loader ?)

> Making all
> drivers capable of freezing/thawing their state probably is (but
> that's also needed for ACPI S3).

not as much. for hibernation you also need to restore the software
state. For S3, hardware state is enough.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>