Subject: Re: can't boot kernel with big ramdisk
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Ingbert Meyer <imeyer@orceo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/07/2007 11:16:34
Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to boot a kernel with a big ramdisk over PXE boot (on amd64).
> The bootloader loads the kernel through TFTP but it hangs instead of
> launching it.
>
> A kernel with MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=22000 will boot, and with
> MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=25000 it won"t. gzip'ing the kernel does not
> help.
>
> Any clue? Is there something special for loading big kernels? If there
> an alternative (eg: loading the ramdisk through tftp as a separate file?)

Hi,

I cannot tell  why your kernel is not booting, but I know that kernels
with greater
ramdisks are booting (also via PXE).
 This is my setup:

# Enable the hooks used for initializing the root memory-disk.
options     MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
options     MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT                       # force root on
memory disk
options     MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=1                    # no userspace
memory disk support
options     MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=180000    # size of memory disk, in blocks
options     MEMORY_RBFLAGS=0                            # not an
installation kernel, so boot into

# multiuser mode,
#options     MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC                    # doesn't work with
prefilled ramdisk

I.Meyer
____________________________________
orceo GmbH