Subject: Re: setting a dump device, vs filename
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2007 15:06:45
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:00:23PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>I've setup a RAIDframe with raid0b a swap partition
>but I'd like kernel dumps to go to wd0b, which is
>setup with the same boundaries as raid0b.
>
>defaults/rc.conf says sysctl now manages dump
>location but I only see an option to set a file for
>that.
>
>how do I specify kernel dumps (explicitly) should go
>to wd0b?

nevermind, I see the dp option in fstab

     The type of the mount is extracted from the fs_mntops field and stored
     separately in the fs_type field (it is not deleted from the fs_mntops
     field).  If fs_type is ``rw'' or ``ro'' then the filesystem whose name is
     given in the fs_file field is normally mounted read-write or read-only on
     the specified special file.  If fs_type is ``sw'' or ``dp'' then the spe-
     cial file is made available as a piece of swap or dump space by the
     swapctl(8) command towards the beginning of the system reboot procedure.
     See swapctl(8) for more information on configuring swap and dump devices.
     The fields other than fs_spec and fs_type are unused.  If fs_type is
     specified as ``xx'' the entry is ignored.  This is useful to show disk
     partitions which are currently unused.

thanks,
// George