Subject: Re: How to recover deleted files ?
To: Co Thai Ngo <cngo@nmsu.edu>
From: Evaldo Gardenali <evaldo@gardenali.biz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/02/2007 22:21:57
Hi

in the future, think of this:
q> Does anyone know how to recover delete files on NetBSD ? I'm looking for
something like unrm, but couldn't find one.
a> You can't undelete (unless you halt the system IMMEDIATELY and do forensics that may take days, lots of caffeine and headache pills) There are people that make a living out of it... how much is that file worth? :)

q> How do I prevent losing files then?
a> Many system administrators employ "trashcan/"trashbin" libraries, so they PRELOAD the libraries and they hook the unlink() calls, normally moving them to a "trash" directory. A quick browse on your favourite search engine or a catalog like freshmeat.net shows quite a few of them, although it should be trivial for a developer to write his own. "man ld.elf_so"

q> Whats the recommended use of that?
a> use that for all normal users, but not for root. As rot, you need to remember the usual sysadmin lecture: "Think before you type!"

q> what extra care do I need to take?
a> ensure that NOBODY except root has access to that directory, or else they might have access to critical data by accident :)

"clickety-clickety-click"

Kind Regards
Evaldo Gardenali