Subject: Re: firefox-linux process
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2007 18:41:39
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:29:09 +0100
Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:59:39AM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > I have the same problem and removing ~/.mozilla/firefox/* helps -
> > but then you lose your bookmarks as well.  Never had the time to
> > track down _which_ file is the problem.  (IMHO, this is a bug in
> > firefox..)
>
> Removing .mozilla/firefox/*/.parentlock is enough...

Here's the shell script I gave my wife (a KDE user) to use when firefox
dies:

 #!/bin/ksh

if [ $# -gt 0 -a "x$1" = "x-f" ]
then
        kflag=y
        shift
else
        kflag=n
fi

x=`pgrep firefox-bin`
if [ ! -z "$x" ]
then
        echo Firefox is running: $x >&2
        if [ $kflag = n ]
        then
                echo kill it first with task manager >&2
                exit 1
        else
                echo killing it... >&2
                kill $x
                sleep 1; echo -n .
                sleep 1; echo -n .
                sleep 1; echo -n .
                sleep 1; echo
                x=`pgrep firefox-bin`
                if [ ! -z "$x" ]
                then
                        echo "sorry, couldn't kill it; get help or run
'unwedge -f'" >&2
                        exit 2
                fi
                echo "killed successfully; trying to unwedge" >&2
        fi
fi

rm -f $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/.parentlock
echo OK, try it now >&2
exit 0