Subject: Re: Forcing NetBSD to use IPv4
To: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2007 13:21:52
--Zl+NncWK+U5aSfTo

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 10:56:50PM +1100, Alasdair wrote:
> How can you force NetBSD 3.0.1 to use IPv4 only. I have a number of
> problems connecting to the net caused by the interaction of my router
> with the IPv6 protocol . See the thread:=20
> "telnet -4 command switches on IPv4 mode for other apps "           =20
> I have researched on the net
> and it seems that this problem is quite common . There is a document
> that discusses it here http://v6fix.net/docs/wide-draft-v6fix.en
> <http://v6fix.net/docs/wide-draft-v6fix.en>  if anyone is interested.
> In my limited understanding, it would seem that BSD variants
> are the least likely to suffer problems of all OSs, so I strongly
> suspect that it is my router.  It seems the quickest solutions are
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 1. Force NetBSD to use IPv4 , globally.
>=20

Absolutely uncalled for. Unless you have a box with <=3D 8MiB of RAM.

> Or
> =20
>  2. Buy a router that can handle IPv6 ok.

Oh, not even that, just one that understands modern DNS properly.
Seriously, there's no excuse, IPv6 has been mostly stable for
the last five years.

>    =20
> Can anyone suggest how to do 1.   Or suggest a router that can handle
> IPv6 . I am using a standalone box with an ADSL connection.
>=20
> Matthias Schele offered me a much more elegant solution, but I need to im=
prove my understanding of the details of networking to  implement it, and I=
 have taken up far to much of his time already. However I need to find a te=
mporary solution till that can be done and the above seem the most likely. =
As far as I can see instructions on how to  force NetBSD to use IPv4 are no=
t in the guide.

This is the correct thing to do, that or ask your ISP for the
addresses of their (hopefully sane) resolvers.

The other, perhaps most elegant, solution is to have the
system resolver not ask for AAAA first when no non-link-local
(i.e. public) addresses are on any interface.  I hear this is
implemented in Windows 6, as well as recent versions of GNU glibc.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--Zl+NncWK+U5aSfTo

--Zl+NncWK+U5aSfTo--