Subject: Re: About replacement of Linux in NAS disks
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2007 12:33:52
--kqtt47OYP/jaifaD

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 12:24:34PM +0100, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm looking at external IDE disk serving as NAS.
> Many of them advertise using Linux and seem to be able to upgrade the PRO=
M.
>=20
> My question is, what is the generic procedure to replace the embedded Lin=
ux
> with a home-made NetBSD kernel/userland ? Is this difficult ? I mean is
> there a need of finding a hole in the software update process or is it as
> simple as "replacing the firware image" with a bootable iso file ?

Those are not game consoles, you know.

What's difficult is whether or not NetBSD will run on it.  It's not a
given.  You have to know the processor architecture, the specifics of
the rest of the board, what the boot loader is, etc.  If a NetBSD port
already exists for that board, then it's only a matter of getting the
boot loader to use a NetBSD kernel (which can be more or less difficult,
but there is no point in locking it out completely, so why would they
bother?).  If a port doesn't exist, then there is a lot more work to do.

Do you have a precise model in mind?

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--kqtt47OYP/jaifaD

--kqtt47OYP/jaifaD--