Subject: Re: telnet -4 command switches on IPv4 mode for other apps
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2007 08:16:50
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:52:57AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:47:16AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 04:55:18PM +1100, Alasdair wrote:
> > > local host named [255]:none:0:open:/etc/named.conf file not found
> > > local host named [255]loading config file : file not found
> > > local host named [255] exiting due to fatal error
> >
> > Please copy "/etc/named.conf" to "/var/chroot/named/etc" and run
> > "/etc/rc.d/named start" afterwards.
>
> I almost forgot: you also need to copy the directory "/etc/namedb"
> including all the files in it to "/var/chroot/named/etc/namedb".
>
> 	Kind regards
>
> --
> Matthias Scheler                                  http://zhadum.org.uk/

Hi  Matthias,

I madee the additional  changes you suggested above the result was pretty
much the same as with the first  this error message appeared in mutt upon trying to send mail

msmtp: cannot locate host smtp.iprimus.com.au: No address associated with
+hostname
msmtp: could not send mail (account alasdair from /home/alasdair/.msmtprc)

Pretty much as before.

Upon rebooting the system in startup messages, slightly different with your suggested additions.

localhost named [255] could not configure root hosts from 'root cache':file
not found
local host named [255]loading config file : file not found
local host named [255] exiting due to fatal error
I checked and double checked that all the suggested changes had been successfuly carried out, all the files are in the right places.

I included Gary Duzan's suggested changes as well.

resolv.conf looks like this:

$ cat resolv.conf
# Created by dhclient at: Wed Feb 14 10:13:19 EST 2007
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.254

I tried an experiment, I removed the line

nameserver 192.168.1.254

and tried to retrieve mail I got this error message from fetchmail

fetchmail: 6.2.5.5 querying mail.primus.com.au (protocol POP3) at Tue Feb 13 23:57:51 2007: poll started
fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of mail.primus.com.au (mail.primus.com.au)

Replacing the line allows connection as before:

mail retrieve OK

mail send: only after using "telnet -4"

Any clues?

Regards,