Subject: nscd and friends (was: VPN+fetchmail+sendmail: ...)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2007 22:46:07
On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 12:31:30AM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> > Reading "/etc/resolv.conf" is (usually) managed by "libc" which never
> > rereads it for performance reasons.
> Even rereading it once a second or so?

I don't like the once a second part. Ccould this be checked with
kqueue(2) automatically?

> BTW: Under linux this problem was solved long ago, I don't know how,
> libc/nscd?

I'm fond of neither "nscd" (Solaris and Linux) nor "lookupd" (Mac OS X).
All of them have given me more (Mac OS X, Fedora Core 3) or less
(Solaris) headache in the past.

The most common problems are:
1.) Overeager caching causes lots of problem.
2.) The name service caching daemon becomes single point of failure.

	Kind regards