Subject: Re: doc on using ffs snapshot
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2007 17:03:33
--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

Also sprach George Georgalis (george@galis.org)
> I'd like to begin implementing ffs snapshots. My understanding is
> that means I can create a file, in an instant, which I can mount
> for access to the entire filesystem as it existed at that moment
> in time. Which is possible because by creating the snapshot, I'm
> instructing the kernel to write diffs to the snapshot file as
> changes are made to the live filesystem, and mounting a snapshot
> file presents a mount point which is an application of those diffs
> in real time. with a limit of something like 8 snapshot files
> existing at any given time.
>=20
> Is that how ffs snapshots are implemented in NetBSD? I cannot find
> _any_ documentation on this, is it written up somewhere?
>=20
> "apropos snapshot" to the rescue, I do have a couple manpages
> now. Is there any guide/html doc?

AFAIK there is no more documentation on FFS than what is in the man
pages. I wrote an article about backup/recovery which covers also ffs,
but it is in German langugage.

However, fss can be used to create a device (/dev/fss[0-4]) which than
represents the status of the source directory. This device can be
dumped, mounted or whatever you like. The backup file can be discarded
with -x, and since I don't know what it is useful for, I do so every
time I use fss.

I use this for dumping my home slice:
 fssconfig -c -x fss0 /home/ /tmp/
 dump -0 -a -f homedump  /dev/fss0
 fssconfig -u

Instead of dump you could also do a:
 mount /dev/fss0 /mnt/=20
 tar cf home.tar /mnt/
Or whatever you like.=20

--=20
http://www.net-tex.de                                 http://www.cryptomanc=
er.de
Jeder wird als Faust geboren, um alles zu erfassen, alles zu erproben, alle=
s=20
auszudr=FCcken. Da=DF Faust Gelehrter wurde, daf=FCr sorgten die Fehler sei=
ner=20
Vorg=E4nger und seiner Zeitgenossen. -- Boris Pasternak, Doktor Schiwago

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g--