Subject: doc on using ffs snapshot
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2007 12:30:43
I'd like to begin implementing ffs snapshots. My understanding is
that means I can create a file, in an instant, which I can mount
for access to the entire filesystem as it existed at that moment
in time. Which is possible because by creating the snapshot, I'm
instructing the kernel to write diffs to the snapshot file as
changes are made to the live filesystem, and mounting a snapshot
file presents a mount point which is an application of those diffs
in real time. with a limit of something like 8 snapshot files
existing at any given time.

Is that how ffs snapshots are implemented in NetBSD? I cannot find
_any_ documentation on this, is it written up somewhere?

"apropos snapshot" to the rescue, I do have a couple manpages
now. Is there any guide/html doc?

// George