Subject: Re: install doesn't save network config?
To: DIST - NetBSD -users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy <timothy@jupiter.stcl.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2007 07:45:18
On Sunday 04 February 2007 16:27, Glenn Becker wrote:
> > I just set up a box with 4.0_BETA2 yesterday using boot floppies and
> > doing the whole install, and I was definitely prompted to save the
> > network config. Maybe it's a bug that was fixed recently.
> >
> > 4.0 should be out pretty soon I guess.
>
> It is strange, I don't recall this from the first time I installed (back
> in '05?). I would opt to label it just my fault, but I went through the
> process this time around multiple times (the basic install is a very easy
> one), and I am sure I was not prompted to save the network installation
>
> ... indeed when I first tried it this time around I elected to install
> everything from the CD I'd burned, and wasn't prompted to set up
> networking at all.

Here's how I setup the network.

Edit: /etc/rc.conf with your favorite editor:
Add the following lines:
hostname="host.xxx.xxx"		#fully qualified hostname
defaultroute="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"	#default gw

Edit/add:  /etc/resolv.conf
search domain.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Edit/add:  /etc/ifconfig.xxx and add host ip/mask 	#where xxx is your ethernet
interface, mine is ex0 (3com))
inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 	#host ip/mask

Hope this helps.

Timothy