Subject: not sure what happened here ...
To: DIST - NetBSD -users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2007 16:17:52
Hi all -

Something strange happened to my multi-OS box. While I am sure it is
somehow my fault, I'm trying to figure out how to avoid it happening
again.

I had NetBSD booting happily from a logical partition. I ran into
difficulties trying to compile -current, and decided to backtrack to 3.1.
As I'd recently purchased a CD/DVD burner, and had little or no data on my
NetBSD partition, I downloaded an ISO of 3.1 and burned it to disc. I then
booted with it just to make sure the burn was good and it would work ...

... and it did. The familiar installer started up. I was short on time,
and so aborted the install before I reached the point of no return (or was
pretty sure I did) ...

... but NetBSD will now not boot at all. And I just tried to boot FreeBSD,
which is on a neighboring primary partition, and it wouldn't boot either.
I just ran cfdisk on my hard drive and it says that both the unbootable
NetBSD partition /and/ the (former?) FreeBSD partition are of type NetBSD.

?

As I wrote above, I'm sure I must have done /something/, but ... what? My
faulty memory says there is a clearly-marked point in the install before
which nothing has been written to disk. I simply cannot recall reaching
that point, and yet ... since then, 2 partitions have been unbootable.

I guess I'm wondering whether anyone else has encountered anything like
this.

Puzzledly,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org