Subject: sendmail problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2007 09:25:54
--------------enig01A6E7943D328300397EDF2C

Hello all,

   On a system I use remotely as a source repository, sendmail complains
about the usual FQN stuff, which makes it take a lot of time to start up.=

   I thought I'd fix this once for all, but I'm not having much luck
with it.

   One of the problems is that the DHCP server that this computer
connects to, doesn't seem to send out 'hostname'. So I have to run
"ifconfig" to find out what address it has, and then run "nslookup", and
finally "hostname". /etc/hosts also needs to be updated, I guess, to
reflect the new name. (Yes, its IP address and hostname does change from
time to time).

   I guess I should be using a dhclient-enter-hook script to make it all
automagic. But when I tried a while back I got stuck pretty soon. I
needed "sed" to parse the output from various commands, but sed didn't
seem to be available when the DHCP client ran at startup. Or perhaps I
just forgot to hard code the path to it? Hmm..

   Anyway.. I assume my situation is far from unique, so I'm almost
assuming that someone has already done all this work before..

   Thankful for any pointers.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson