Subject: Re: Wacom tablets and NetBSD?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2007 22:28:29
On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:07:44PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> > Do you use /dev/uhid0 (with usbtablet driver) or /dev/wsmouse?
>
> When using wsmouse, I can unplug the mouse and/or the tablet without problems.

Yes. wsmouse handles attach/detach gracefully and hides the
communication errors, the X server doesn't see anything.

> Plugging in works for /dev/wsmouse but not for the invididual /dev/wsmouse* (X
> keeps working but the newly added device is not detected, it works only after
> restarting X).

Yes, the hotplugging is handled by the wsmouse multiplexer (/dev/wsmouse)
but not by the individual instances of wsmouse (/dev/wsmouseX).

In my experience the X server tries to open the device and if that
fails, it simply ignores it. In case of the core pointer and absence
of the AllowMouseOpenFail option it doesn't even start.

However, the X server aborts when an input device that it had
open returns an error, e.g. when you unplug the mouse/tablet.

--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de