Subject: Removing dated files
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2007 08:12:16
--------------enig1C25FAAB08A1C687B4DD5223

Hello all,

   I have a bunch of backup archives which are dated:

   .
   .
   .
   documents.2006-12-24.tar.bz2.gpg
   documents.2006-12-25.tar.bz2.gpg
   documents.2006-12-26.tar.bz2.gpg
   documents.2006-12-27.tar.bz2.gpg
   .
   .
   .
   systemfiles.2006-11-24.tar.bz2.gpg
   systemfiles.2006-11-25.tar.bz2.gpg
   systemfiles.2006-11-26.tar.bz2.gpg
   systemfiles.2006-11-27.tar.bz2.gpg
   .
   .
   .

   I would like to remove some (most!) of these files according to a
pattern:

- Keep all backup files which are two weeks (or less) old
- If backups are more than two weeks old, then keep only the latest one
that week.
- If backups are more than two months old, then keep only the latest one
that month.
- If backups are more than two years old, then keep only the latest one
that year.

   This feels like something that probably has been done a gazillion
times before. Am I reinventing the wheel if I write a script which
performs this kind of maintenance? All I have to do is use a regexp to
parse the "base name" and dates, build a tree of it all, and then
traverse the trees, clobbering anything that looks "old" and "redundant"
(according to the rules). It seems like quite a simple thing to write,
but not simple enough for me to go ahead and write without asking first.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson