Subject: Re: we have to do something about this spam
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2007 00:45:06
At 15:31 Uhr -0500 21.1.2007, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

[Complaints about spam, and closing the lists as a response]

>However, every time this is suggested a lot of people get angry and
>nothing happens.

This will probably make me part of the problem, but anyway: Much worse than
the occasional UCE mail on the NetBSD lists is the odd complaint, sent to a
random list. It usually spawns yet another discussion many times the volume
of the UCE mail that caused it.

From where I stand, whatever the NetBSD admins have in place for filtering
mail does a pretty good job. Subscribe to a sourceforge list for comparison
- the pkgsrc-wip-* lists will do nicely.

Given the amount of spam that I get daily, closing the NetBSD lists for
non-subscribers IMHO solves a non-existing problem.

	hauke