Subject: Re: WEP support for atu device -- Solved
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2007 17:58:54

> I recently setup one of my adapters with dhcp, which I'd never done
> before, and I noticed that the fewer options I used it decided to
> connect. If it doesn't work, it might be a bug I suppose.

Hi Sirs!

Atu device is being used while I write this message. I turned off the
turbo mode settings for the AP or wireless gateway and enabled the
Broadcast SSID. My original settings also worked as follows:

ifconfig_atu0="media DS11 chan 11 mode 11b ssid bsdnetwork nwkey
0xdeadbeef12"
dhclient=yes

atu0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ssid bsdnetwork nwkey *****
        powersave off
        bssid ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff chan 11
        address: 00:0f:66:10:3e:fe
        media: IEEE802.11 DS11 mode 11b
        status: active
        inet6 fe80::20f:66ff:fe10:3efe%atu0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

I read stuff about turbo modes, frame bursting and found out that
(partial/unofficial) implementations of 802.11e vary from one vendor to
the other. I just don't understand why on Windows XP clients where
AP/Wireless gateway when configured to not broadcast its SSID can connect.
I'll try to investigate further if marketing errr.... turbo mode when
enabled works fine on NetBSD as it did for XP clients.

A bug? I can't say it is after reading several product manuals (marketing
kits) of various vendors and technical manuscripts on wi-fi. I could
imagine how confusing that would be should one reverse engineer drivers
for a certain chipset.

As for dhclient, It varies from reboot sometimes it takes 2 to 5
DHCPREQUESTS for atu to recieve a DHCPACK. But for now I'll enable -q for
this device.

Thanks to all who replied.

Best regards,

Joseph