Subject: Re: WEP support for atu device
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2007 19:15:09
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
[snip]
> I've temporarily changed the 'sleep 1' to 'sleep 5' in the MEDIUM
> section, to accommodate a new GigE switch.  That seems to have helped.
> I expect it will also help me with 802.11, where I've long had such
> problems.  But fundamentally, dhclient needs a fundamental
> restructuring to make it know more about link-level carrier; it
> shouldn't initiate IP-level requests until it has carrier, and it
> should request a new lease if carrier drops and is reacquired.  (This
> last step needs debouncing!)

This sounds like a better solution to the workaround we've implemented
(but hey, it works for us!):
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2006/12/17/0001.html

We check link status _before_ calling dhclient which is alright in certain
circumstances, but I really like the request new lease if carrier drops
idea.

--
Stephen