Subject: Re: NetBSD on NAS devices?
To: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2007 07:05:06
On 1/14/07, Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 13 January 2007 20:40, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if there are any of these small disk enclosures that
> > have network connectivity that run NetBSD?
>
> I'm not aware of any NAS devices running NetBSD out the box.
>
> The Linksys NSLU2 (sys/arch/evbarm/nslu2) can be persuaded to run NetBSD
> without too much trouble. It doesn't have an internal disk, but it has
> two USB 2.0 ports for hooking up external disks. It won't break any
> speed records, particularly in stock form (there's a h/w mod to double
> the CPU core speed), but it's a neat package.

Yeah, I've seen that one. It's kind of neat. They aren't too expensive
used either.

I have a Cobalt Qube, but it doesn't perform very well either. There
are still bugs in it. But it's probably the best option now that I'm
looking at other stuff.

I recently bought (was suckered into?) a NexStar LX which has some
nice functions, but I had no idea it's based on FAT32, which isn't so
cool. So I'm trying to find something else that eventually I could get
NetBSD onto.

Andy