Subject: Re: Hardware RAID Wrong Size
To: the carlos <speed_daemon@the-carlos.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2007 16:35:43
On Jan 12, 2007, at 4:19 PM, the carlos wrote:
> Thanks Chuck!  Here's the rest.  A quick search of the mailing lists
> gives me the impression that GPT will be in 4.0 (http://mail-
> index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2006/10/15/0096.html)

You're welcome, although I regret that I can't offer a simple
solution to the problem.

> I really would prefer not having to split my volume.  The 3ware bios
> will let me split the array into 2 logical drives easily, but my
> application would favor the bigger single logical drive.  If there's
> no other way maybe I can get ccd to join the two logical drives...

My suggestion was or would be to create a 1.9 TB volume and a small
volume consisting of the remaining space.  Use the main volume for
your app, and perhaps use the second space of ~100GB or so as the
boot device, and see whether this results in a usable configuration
for your purposes...

> Slightly off-topic, is backing up a huge raid array to another raid
> array an acceptable backup strategy?

It's common for people to set up a second RAID array as a "warm
standby" or "near-online backup", yes.

However, note that just like RAID-1 mirroring itself, if you make a
change, and it gets copied over the the second RAID, you cannot
revert the change back to the former configuration.  So it would be
highly desirable to have offline backups via a more traditional
mechanism like LTO or SDLT tape which let you restore older versions
of your data.

--
-Chuck