Subject: Re: Hardware RAID Wrong Size
To: the carlos <speed_daemon@the-carlos.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2007 14:36:28
On Jan 11, 2007, at 11:00 PM, the carlos wrote:
> I have a 3ware 9550SX-8-LP (twa) and in netbsd 3.1 or 4.0beta amd64,
> the 3ware setup correctly detects the size of the raid array (around
> 2TB) in dmesg, but disklabel reports the number of sectors as being
> far less (and doesn't let me correct the label with the dmesg
> number).  I end up with a ~30GB (albeit oddly functional) array!  The
> dmesg sector count is apparently slightly off, but disklabel rejected
> the corrected number (4374836865) as well.  Attached I have what
> disklabel -e gives me, and the obligatory dmesg.  I also have dmesg
> output from 3.1, but since I already attached it to my other post,
> "SATA Controllers Conflict," I figured I'd be frugal.

Regretfully, the NetBSD mailing lists have had to take anti-spam
measures which tend to strip out MIME attachments, so the output of
those commands and your dmesg are missing.

Anyway, even without that data I can say that it is likely that you
have a RAID volume configured which is 2TB + 30GB in size, and you
are seeing a wraparound issue over the 2TB boundary.  I don't know
whether NetBSD supports something called GPT (for "Giant Partition
Table"); it's a new partition table layout intended for very large
volumes and might work better for your intended purposes if it is
available.  Otherwise, consider splitting your RAID volume into two
separate LUNs so that they are smaller than 2TB-- the 3ware BIOS
ought to support doing this.

--
-Chuck