Subject: pkgsrc: ftp connections continually time out. Not behind
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/2007 00:15:31
NetBSD 3.01

Problem: On attempting to fetch packages using pkgsrc the connections
continually time out. With  the error message "Connection timed out" .

In my previous experience (with a previous system set-up) this may happen a
few times then eventually the system finds a site to log onto and downloads
the package.  So far I have only been able to download "pkgsrc" via CVS ok
and "Links" (text based browser). I have tried to download other packages
over a period of about 4 - 5 days at varying times of day and night with no
success.
My connection is ok. I can use Links with no problem.
Also I pinged some of the sites attempted by pkgsrc and was successful. I
went as far a booting Windows and using an FTP client to log on to a site
that had failed to connect with pkgsrc (ftp.mutt.com) very shortly after,
and was able to log on anonymously. I realise that being able to ping a
site doesn't guarantee a connection, however my experience with
ftp.mutt.com would lead me to believe that there is some problem with the
way pkgsrc is trying to log on to ftp sites is not quite right.
Does anybody know what the problem might be and if there is a .conf file or
similar to edit?

As stated I am not behind a firewall or switch also I have a broadband
connection, and am using DCHP. My system is a standalone system. I
downloaded the current branch of pkgsrc

This is puzzling me, the last system I set-up the pkgsrc worked "straight
out the box" with no problems. I have searched around on the internet and
haven't found any clues as to what might be causing this.

If it is just an issue of overloaded servers, then so be it , however  this
has not been my previous experience, hence the question.

Regards,

Alasdair