Subject: Re: pkgsrc: ftp connections continually time out. Not behind firewall or switch
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/09/2007 15:43:17
Hello,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 12:15:31AM +1100, Alasdair wrote:
> NetBSD 3.01
>
> Problem: On attempting to fetch packages using pkgsrc the connections
> continually time out. With  the error message "Connection timed out" .
>
> In my previous experience (with a previous system set-up) this may happen a
> few times then eventually the system finds a site to log onto and downloads
> the package.  So far I have only been able to download "pkgsrc" via CVS ok
> and "Links" (text based browser). I have tried to download other packages
> over a period of about 4 - 5 days at varying times of day and night with no
> success.
> My connection is ok. I can use Links with no problem.

Several questions/requests follow:

* Did you try

PASSIVE_FETCH=1

in /etc/mk.conf? [1] If not, please do.

* Did you try manual ftp from NetBSD to the problematic sites?
* If manual ftp doesn't work, what is the error message?
* If manual ftp works - please cut/paste the first few lines of its output

* Please show us the output of:
- cat /etc/resolv.conf
- ifconfig -n -a
- netstat -rnf inet
- netstat -rnf inet6

* Did you enable IPv6 in the windows installation that has working ftp?[2]

Regards,
	-is

[1] See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/faq.html#passive-ftp)

[2] You might be a victim of a router that advertizes IPv6 to your
    machine, but doesn't really route it. In this case you'll get long
    timeouts when ftp is trying to open a ipv6 connection.
    Windows XP has IPv6, but the method to enable it is somewhat hidden,
    so I suspect it's not enabled in yoru installation.