Subject: Upgrading NetBSD Userland
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Brown <steve@daedilus.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/2007 14:52:56
Hi Folks,

I recall carrying out an upgrade to get a system running a stable branch
of version 3 about a year ago, but had a few problems that took some time
to iron out (broken / incorrect system links etc).  I know these problems
probably occurred from not knowing what I was doing really.

I've had a scan read of the NetBSD Guide on netbsd.org for instructions on
the best way to upgrade a running system to another version of NetBSD.
From what I can tell, there's plenty of information on getting sources,
compiling and so on, just not much about upgrading a running system once
you've done the above (although I could have just missed it).

The system concerned is the only NetBSD machine available to me at any
kind of decent speed, and is running entirely on a Raidframe based RAID 1
array.

If anyone could advise me on the best way to carry out this upgrade, I
will then be able to run NetBSD 4 BETA2 on my current system with a view
to giving some feedback.

Thanks

Steve