Subject: Re: Wacom tablets and NetBSD?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2007 20:49:18
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 08:30:05PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 07:21:12PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> > The Wacom Sapphire here works.
> >
> > You need a proper driver that may or may not exist in your version of X.
>
> I'm using NetBSD's xsrc, maybe I should use X.org from pkgsrc?

I just tried again with netbsd4.

-> uhid sends proper events
-> ums detects a mouse, but doesn't generate any mouse events
-> wsmouse driver is silent.
-> X doesn't see the tablet. :-(

It probably works when you run X with /dev/uhid0 and the wacom
driver. There are three possibilites:

- Run your own X server instance with the tablet as the CorePointer.
- Configure X to use this as the second input device but also as CorePointer.
- Configure X to use this as the second input device and configure
  your application to use the second input device for drawing (gimp
  allows that).

In any case, when you use /dev/uhid0 and detach uhid0 the X server
will see the failure and abort.

The solution therefore must be to train ums to parse the events
correctly as the wsmouse driver is tolerant to detaching input
devices.

> > You may need bugfixes for gtk to avoid crashes in e.g. gimp.
> >
> > I haven't tried inkscape.
>
> I thought apps just "see" it as a mouse?  At least inkscape doesn't use
> extra features like pressure sensitivity so it doesn't care whether it's
> a pen or just a mouse.

The problem was that gtk sees the additional attributes and divided
by zero when an 'axis' delivered a valid value of 'undefined'. You
could either fix the gtk bug or make the wacom X driver fake a
value for the axis attribute that the tablet doesn't have.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de