Subject: Re: Wacom tablets and NetBSD?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2007 13:37:28
Hi Geert.

On 2007.01.03 17:57:21 +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> does anyone have experience with Wacom (or other) pen+tablet devices on
> NetBSD?  I'm thinking about buying a Wacom Volito or PenPartner, for some
> (amateur) drawing in Inkscape.  Do these devices work (well) with NetBSD?

We had a Graphire3 6x8 here which I gave a brief whirl under NetBSD.

I tried it using ScanScribe <www.parc.com/isl/groups/pda/scanscribe>,
a nifty Java app.  I didn't use it with inkscape or gimp, so I
can't comment on those in particular.  But I didn't find the tablet
terribly compelling -- I found managing hand-eye coordination
difficult.  One of my colleagues here had the same experience.
It's now gone walkabout.

Configuring the tablet was easy, once I'd found the settings figured
out by Dave Huang for his 4x6, repeated at:

    http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=5344

The Graphire3 6x8 required a very tiny patch, which I submitted as
kern/35111.  The relevant settings to my XF86Config are:

    Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier  "Single (VESA)"
	Screen      0 "Laptop LCD (vesa)" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Synaptics TouchPad" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Laptop Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice    "Wacom Pen" "SendCoreEvents"
	InputDevice    "Wacom Eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

    # ...

    Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Wacom Pen"
	Driver      "usbtablet"
	Option          "Device" "/dev/uhid0"
	Option      "Type" "stylus"
	Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Wacom Eraser"
	Driver "usbtablet"
	Option "Device" "/dev/uhid0"
	Option "Type" "eraser"
	Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    EndSection

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli