Subject: Re: apm vs acpi
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2007 10:23:22
--=-=-=

  And why doesn't NetBSD power down when I shut down with "-h"?

It's correct not to power down; -p is for turning off power.  My
notebook (T60, which implements only ACPI) powers off correctly with
'shutdown -p now'.

  And when the screen shuts off due to inactivity, the screen does not
  power down as I want it to. It just "blackens" the screen, instead
  of telling it to shut itself off for a while.

This may be more about the graphics card than ACPI/APM.

  So I thought I'd try with "apm" instead and see if that helps
  either of the issues, but "config" says apm doesn't even exist.

Some computers implement the apm interface, some the ACPI, and some both.
My rough impression is that <2005 implemnents apm and >2000 ACPI, with
early ACPI implementations being flaky.

NetBSD also has "apm emulation" via acpi, so that even on ACPI-only
computers the apm interface to e.g. get battery status will work, so
that the Gnome battery applet will display battery level.  But this
emulation is not at all likely to address the issues you raise.

=2D-=20
    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--