Subject: Re: apm vs acpi
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2007 16:08:00
--------------enig6019DEBF8CD5EADB7851B6B7

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>>    As far as I understand it, APM is "the old tech", and ACPI is the
>> "new tech". i.e. they are mutually exclusive. Right?
>>
>>    But ACPI is such a complex beast that it is not completely (and
>> properly) implemented in most systems.
>>
>>    Is this about right, or is it completely wrong?
>>
>>    I read somewhere that you need apm enabled for NetBSD to shut the
>> power off on i386 systems (and amd64, I assume). But if I have ACPI,
>> but not APM, shouldn't that be able to handle shutting the power off.
>> At least in theory?
>>
> ACPI can indeed shut the power off.  The problem is that laptop support=

> is incomplete.  You may or may not be able to suspend; you may or may
> not be able to resume with all of your devices working.

   Ah, I see. Hmm... I guess what I was asking for was this: My
stationary system (NetBSD/amd64 3.0) does not have APM support compiled
in. And when the screen shuts off due to inactivity, the screen does not
power down as I want it to. It just "blackens" the screen, instead of
telling it to shut itself off for a while.

   I thought BIOS could handle those things, but no matter what I try,
nothing helps.

   While searching around, I found that ACPI (which is enabled in BIOS,
and which support is compiled into my kernel) should be able to do what
apm does. But why doesn't my new TFT screen power down, instead of
showing a black/blue "picture". And why doesn't NetBSD power down when I
shut down with "-h"?

   So I thought I'd try with "apm" instead and see if that helps either
of the issues, but "config" says apm doesn't even exist.

   Well.. I'm completely lost. Any hints? (I want to get the screen to
shut down properly, and I would like the system to power down on
"shutdown -h", if possible).

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson