Subject: Re: how to start a statically linked Linux program
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/28/2006 17:58:56
On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:47:59PM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> From what I found in the list archives (in rather old messages) I got the
> impression that there were or still are problems recognizing the
> operating system a static ELF binary expects.

This is unrelated to static vs. dynamic binaries. For example on -current
I get:

[~] martin@nelly > file /rescue/ls
/rescue/ls: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD 4.99.7, statically linked, stripped

Your linux binary obviously is missing the necessary .note section.
I think there is a "branding" tool out there to add it belatedly.

Martin