Subject: using different RAID types on the same disk array
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/20/2006 19:47:03
Hi,

looking for some advice on RAIDframe here;

On a machine with two SATA disks, is it a good idea to create
RAID-1 (mirror) and RAID-0 (stripe) arrays on the same set of
disks?  I'd like to have the benefits of RAID-1 for my system
and data partitions and RAID-0 for all recoverable data like
/tmp, cvs trees, obj and work dirs, ...

How will the interference between the two raid arrays impact
performance?  For example when reading from both parts at the
same time, will the RAID-1 automatically read from a disk not
being accessed by the RAID-0, or not?

Or should I use the drives independantly?

	Geert