Subject: Re: Bridged vlans anyone?
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2006 14:53:23
Peter Eisch wrote:
> I got half way into building a system with 4 LAN ports that I'd would all
> have the same vlans (for the most part) and have them bridged.  Does anyone
> use or refuse to use a configuration like this?  The configuration of the
> interfaces gets complicated with 4 physical interfaces, 6 vlans and then 6
> bridges of the vlan interfaces.
>
> Can I then NAT between the bridges like I can between vlans?
>
> If it's technically possible, has anyone any experience that might advise me
> away from such a configuration?
>
> Thanks,
>
> peter

I've used a setup similar to this.
There is one caveat on startup though. Because ifconfig -C
returns bridge before vlan, you can't configure bridges with
vlan ports in the normal way. In other words,
/etc/ifconfig.bridge0 will be configured before /etc/ifconfig.vlan0.

NAT works as expected, but you'll still nat between two of
the vlan ports. The bridge stuff is transparent unless you explicitly
configure it otherwise.

For my application I needed a custom mac adresses on my NAT
port. To get this you can add a tap0 interface to the bridge.

Good Luck,
-Tobias