Subject: Persistent tunnel
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/2006 01:23:23
--------------enigBF8CD5EADB7851B6B7248D42

Hello all,

   I have two systems which I use to connect to a third system (a
development system, with subversion, apache, postgresql, etc). However,
these services are not available on the external interfaces, but only
from lo0. So we use tunnels, which are established using "ssh -L
=2E..blah...".

   This - obviously - works good, except for two (very minor) annoyances:=

   - Sometimes I switch to the ssh tunnel-window in screen, and start
typing things.. And nothing works as I expect. And after a while I
realize that I'm not on my local system as I was expecting, but rather
in ssh shell I used to establish the tunnels. :-)
   - When the line goes down, ssh terminates (as it should). But I'd
like if it could try to reestablish the tunnel every hour or so.

   A quick search reveals that there seems to be a neat tool called
"stunnel". Can I accomplish what I want with it, or is it the wrong
tools for the wrong job? (I assume I can avoid the second "problem" with
a "while True, ssh ..., sleep"-loop, but that won't take care of the
first minor nit.

   Like I said, It's only a very minor nit, but if someone has had the
same thoughts as I in the matter, and found a neat solution, then please
share it with me.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson