Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2006 19:16:49
--iAL9S67WQOXgEPD9

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:55:54PM +0100, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >On Dec 12, 10:46am, Gilles@Gravier.org (Gilles Gravier) wrote:
> >-- Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
> >

> >No, but I needed a 64 bit grep, awk, sed, sort, etc... I just think that=
=20
> >all
> >the applications that have the potential to use a lot of memory should be
> >64 bit.
> >
> >| I think Solaris counts very well.
> >
> >Yes, if your needs are modest.
> > =20
> Like 50% of the worlds air traffic control run on Solaris. How much of=20
> what's left runs on NetBSD?
>=20
> Yep... modest needs... definitely.

Since when do we give a rat's ass about what Solaris does in that area,
anyway?  The original question was about NetBSD, whose COMPAT_NETBSD32
layer is not the sexiest (and, again, I don't give a shit about
Solaris's), so no matter what arch is chosen, you'd better off with a
matching userland.

And there are many reasons beyond simple performance to choose one over
the other, even when memory capacity is not directly at stake.

> --=20
> /*Gilles Gravier*/ *=3D* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>=
=20
> *=3D* *http://www.gravier.org/*
> ICQ : *77488526*=20
> <http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=3D77488526> * || *MSN=20
> Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org=
>*
> *Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier=20
> <http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier=20
> <aim:goim?screenname=3Dgillesgravier>
> PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*=20
> <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=3D0x8DE6D026&op=3Dindex>
> "Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
> "De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chastet=E9 est la plus=20
> aberrante." [Anatole France]

Could you please make that signature even longer?

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--iAL9S67WQOXgEPD9

--iAL9S67WQOXgEPD9--