Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2006 19:50:08
PDP users are probably the ones who will agree with you the most. :)

Just to spin slight off-topic...
PDP is actually not a good term to use here, since there were (are) so
many different machines named PDP, with nothing in common.
However, naming 16 bits a word is something the PDP-11 do, and which VAX
then continued on. Hence longword (32 bits), quadword (64 bits) and
octaword (128 bits). Most other people tend to use word to mean 32 bits,
and usually say halfword for 16 bits.
But on most other PDP machines, a word is actually the native size of
the machine. Hmm, thinking of it, this is actually true for the PDP-11
as well. It's just that for a PDP-8 for instance, a word is then 12
bits, while on a PDP-10 it's 36 bits.

Now, bytes on the other hand could lead to a very funny discussion that
many today don't appreciate fully.

	Johnny