Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2006 11:46:07
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> OK... I didn't want to go into to much detail, which is why I left it at that
> simple explanation.
>
> An OS like Solaris will give the same performance levels in 64 bit mode and
> in 32 bit mode, in average (some things are faster, some slower). Windows
> (but we all knew that in advance) sucks in 64 bit mode.

You may be interested to note that Citrix _claim_ that 64-bit Windows 2003
+ 64-bit Citrix Presentation Server delivers up to 3 times the number of
users per server:

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=22341

(though this figure is fudged as they compare W2003 x64 and W2000 x32)

All I know is that I tried to install it and found lots of software
the customer wanted refused to install on 64-bit Windows, so I gave up.

And to get back on topic, I've not moved to NetBSD/amd64 as I'm getting
coredumps from joe/ncurses.

--
Stephen