Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2006 11:38:51
OK... I didn't want to go into to much detail, which is why I left it at
that simple explanation.

An OS like Solaris will give the same performance levels in 64 bit mode
and in 32 bit mode, in average (some things are faster, some slower).
Windows (but we all knew that in advance) sucks in 64 bit mode. Linux,
it depends a lot on what you are doing. NetBSD, I haven't tried.

So yes... your milage may (will) vary. But I'm ready to bet my shirt
that your machine will NOT be faster in 64 bit mode than in 32... People
don't chose 64 bit mode over 32 for performance, but for capacity.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*