Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2006 11:29:20
--wULyF7TL5taEdwHz

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:22:13AM +0100, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Ask yourself why you would want a 64 bit OS...
>=20
> Your system will be shuffling double quantities of information from=20
> memory to CPU and back... and CPU will be doing computation on double=20
> the size of objects. Very often (except in some specific cases) this=20
> results in slowing down your machine compared to 32bits.

That's not entirely true either;  the processor has many more registers,
so the stack is less used, and functions parameters are not passed on
it, so depending on the code, there might be less memory activity.  I'd
be interested in seeing numbers for the syscall latency, too.

In the end, YMMV.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--wULyF7TL5taEdwHz

--wULyF7TL5taEdwHz--