Subject: Re: amd64 stable for production ?
To: None <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
From: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2006 11:22:13
Ask yourself why you would want a 64 bit OS...

Your system will be shuffling double quantities of information from
memory to CPU and back... and CPU will be doing computation on double
the size of objects. Very often (except in some specific cases) this
results in slowing down your machine compared to 32bits.

On the other hand, if you are doing weather simulations, seismic /
geologic computations, then you might effectively need to manipulate
data sets that are only addressable with 64 bits... and in this case,
yes, going to a 64 bit OS is a necessity.

So... if you don't NEED to run in 64 bit mode... then stick to 32 bit
mode. You'll likely get better performance from your system. Regardless
of whether the 64bit OS is or is not ready for production. :)

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*