Subject: Re: Nvidia petition ..put it on the website
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/2006 15:37:08
On Thu 07 Dec 2006 at 11:23:02 -0800, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> I don't believe the hardware APIs for doing basic polygon texturing
> and accessing the pixel & vertex shading engines have changed very
> much from generation to generation.  Sure, new pixel formats like

I have the sneaking suspicion that the vendors are (at least partially)
reluctant to publicise their hardware APIs because it shows to the whole
world how ad-hoc, non-extensible and crappy they are. Look at the Amiga
graphics register interface, it had spare bits here and there to allow
for larger resolutions and more bit planes (but still not enough
unfortunately; it could have been better but wasn't so bad in the first
place). The vendors sometimes argue that documenting the API reveals
their "precious secret inner workings", but that is only true if it is a
crappy API that isn't sufficiently abstract and well-though-out.

> -Chuck
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.