Subject: Re: Nvidia petition ..put it on the website
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 09:28:36
On Dec 7, 2006, at 7:11 AM, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I really don't understand why companies that support and promote the
> idea of using open source, e.g. Sun and Apple and IBM, don't spemd a
> little more time at least putting on a good show about advocating for
> open source offerings (or at least support) from some of their
> partners,
> such as the graphics cards makers, etc.  Don't they believe that they
> will also recieve many advantages from the shared skills of the open
> source community with drivers and such?

Sun and Apple make sure that they ship drivers with their respective
operating systems for all of the hardware they sell; supporting third-
party hardware or third-party operating systems which may run on Sun
or Apple machines is fine but it is not on the same priority level.

This said, both Sun and Apple have open-sourced much of their
operating system & driver software, but there exists significant
resistance from ATI & nVidia about releasing their respective
hardware APIs, because of the high level of competition in the
graphics world over minor differences in performance and video
quality between the two.

--
-Chuck

PS: I don't speak for Sun, and I don't speak for Apple.  :-)