Subject: Re: Forcing a full rebuild of GNOME after update from 3.0.1 to 3.1
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 10:06:07
On Dec 7, 2006, at 9:51 AM, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 03:20:47PM +0100, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> What pleases me here (appart from the sarcastic answer which I didn't
>> really know what to make of) is that 3 people have given me 3
>> different
>> procedures. One of them is completely described (thanks to Lasse),
>> one
>> tells me to go read the manual of some fuctions and gives a
>> general idea
>> of which tools to use (thanks Geert) and one (Jeremy) says what to
>> use,
>> but not with any specific process.
>
> However, you ignored all three of us and decided to do your own thing.
>
> 	Geert

pkgsrc isn't perfect, and there are a lot of ways to work around its
quirks and have a system for which you know the state of, knowledge
which you won't have if you use the pkgsrc tools exclusively and do
not roll your own solution (in some situations).

The important thing (I've found) is to know how it is *supposed* to
work, to know what the tools try to do that is nonproductive/
nonsensical, and then you can think about workarounds.   I learnt a
bit about each of the above areas from the 3 posted workarounds and
I'll use pieces here and there as they suit me :) as I continue to do
_my_ own thing to work around pkgsrc quirks.

Brian